Thursday 22 March 2012

Development

I thought it would be a good idea to put up the development of the collection which I would have done already but I have so much work that it's hard to keep track of!

This collection has been an ongoing project for the past two years, and the amount of time and effort I have put in to it is really quite unbelieveable to me.  Looking back over everything it's amazing to see how one idea can spark and entire world of research, development, knitting, sampling, weaving, experimental textures, design, pattern cutting, fabric sourcing, construction and so on and so forth...oooft!

Inspiration and Development

A few images of the beginnings of the collection, including my self initiated brief.  To date, I have designed, printed and hand bound 28 books of research.  This seems like a lot (who am I kidding it's ridiculous) but is in actual fact all relevant and has helped me arrive at the stage I am now.  A lot of time and effort, but successful at the same time.  All of the pages were made to look worn, like they would in an old book or journal.  As Ian Brady documented a lot of the murders and wrote in books often, I felt this would add to the overall mood of my research.


 Sketchbook Work

Mostly collaging of inspiration and hand drawn garment illustrations.  These took a long time, however the end result was worth it!  I tend to draw a number of garmnets and then the final stage will be to select combinations to start to develop a final lineup.


And.........BREATHE

So here we arrive at the final lineup.  i definitely worry that the end result doesn't look as good as the illustrated line up...but let's hope that this is not the case!  



 

No comments:

Post a Comment